5 YEARS “THE CIRCUS STARRING BRITNEY SPEARS”
5 years ago, The Circus Starring: Britney Spears tour kicks off New Orleans Arena in New Orleans, Louisiana on March 3, 2009
Check out the facts that you need to know about the sixth highest grossing tour ever by a female artist!
- The Circus Starring Britney Spears (commonly referred to as the Circus Tour) was the seventh concert tour and the fourth world tour by Britney Spears.
- It was launched to promote Britney’s sixth studio album Circus.
- It has 4 legs with total 97 shows (61 shows in North America, 22 in Europe and 14 in Australia)
- A week after the tour was announced, 500,000 tickets were sold, prompting promoters to add more dates. The tour also broke attendance records in many cities, and all the North American shows were sold out.
- The tour start at New Orleans Arena, New Orleans, Louisiana on March 3, 3009 and finish at Adelaide Entertainment Centre, Adelaide, Australia on November 29, 2009.
- The Circus tour was directed and choreographed by Jamie King.
- The musical director by Simon Ellis
- The production designer by Road Rage
- Lightning design by Visual Light, conformed by Whitehouse and Leitch
- The stage was designed by Road Rage and Central Staging. The stage was built by Tait Towers and included nine lifts, which had a cost of $10 million.
- The costumes were designed by Dean and Dan Caten from DSquared2
- The Pussycat Dolls, Ciara, Jordin Sparks, Kristina DeBarge, Girlicious were selected as opening acts of the show.
- The show at American Airlines Arena broke the attendance record previously held by Celine Dion, with a crowd of 18,644 people.
- The first North American leg grossed $61.6 million, becoming the highest grossing tour of the first semester of 2009 in the continent.
- The European Leg grossed $74.6 million.
- The second North American leg was also sold out, with a gross of $21.4 million.
- The first three shows in Melbourne were also sold out. The four shows at Acer Arena in Sydney sold 66,247 tickets, making Britney the highest selling act ever in the arena.
- #7 on Billboard’s Top 25 Tours of 2009.
- #21 on the Top Touring Artists of the Decade, becoming the youngest artist in the list and also the fourth female artist, behind Madonna, Celine Dion and Cher.
- #4 highest grossing tour of the year in North America, becoming the highest grossing tour of the year by a solo artist.
- #5 highest-grossing tour-worldwide,-of the year with a gross of $131.8 million.
- #6 highest grossing tour ever by a female artist.
Happy birthday my favorite Britney’s tour ever, The Circus starring: Britney Spears!!